Blending of micro and macro learning is one of the hottest topics today. It is changing the way , people are planning and implementing the learning interventions , throughout the world.
Before reading this blog, the author suggests that readers should go through the following blog, which Ripples has published earlier.
Micro & Macro learning are aiding each other immensely, in preparation of training material in modern day world.
Hence, the approach which we adopt for the blending, maybe as discussed in sections, which follow subsequently.
1.0 Requirements of approach for blending
We have listed five basic requirements of approach for evolving an efficacious and appropriately blended training material , based on micro and macro learning.
Any approach adopted for blending of micro and macro learning should fulfill the following requirements:
- The approach should be based on the training need analysis.
- WE should take into account the views of all the stakeholders and prevailing situation in the organization.
- Ensure that the approach is collaborative . It should also include provisions for testing, evaluation & 360-degree feedback.
- It must meet the learning objectives of the training program , which we have finalized.
- We should make efforts to make the best use of both micro and macro learning.
2.0 A new approach consisting of four stages for blending of micro and macro learning
We have evolved a new approach consisting of the following four stages. We have done this , after taking into account, the five basic requirements of an appropriately designed blending methodology, as listed in section 1.0
Stage one consists of conducting a Pre-blending survey, among the employees , to assess
– What is the existing skill or knowledge,
– What is the gap and
– How we may bridge that gap.
Thus, in a nutshell, we are trying to resort to training need analysis, to freeze the details of learning intervention, along with the objectives, keeping in view the realities.
Stage Two :
Introducing collaboration, testing and 360-degree feedback along with application of neuroscience principles.
Efforts to use micro learning tools to enrich macro learning.
Stage Four :
Efforts to transform macro learning content to micro learning.
2. 1 First stage : Pre- blending survey
We should conduct a pre- blending survey, to assess the exact prevailing situation among the distinct learners.
This may be with respect to the existing level of skill available with them ,along with the identification of gaps and the methodology to bridge the gap.
This may consist of the following steps:
Ask the following questions to the present learners ,on the job ,they are doing.
- What do they want?
- What are the challenges they face ,and how to overcome it?
- What are their expectations?
- What is the best way of doing this?
- What is the level of their satisfaction?
If they're not satisfied, how it may be done better?
Study the process of working in the department and document it in detail.
For this, it is essential to visit the workplace or department. We should study the process of doing the work and documented it in detail.
The study should also include the following:
– what is the best way of doing it &
-what are the best practices, which, other organizations have adopted.
Seek the opinion of star performers.
Among the employees ,there may be some outstanding performers. Try to find out what is their approach of doing it. We should try to include their way of doing the work , in the learning intervention.
2.2 Second Stage: Introducing collaboration, testing and 360-degree feedback, along with application of neuroscience principles.
While finalizing the approach , we should include the following in the learning intervention:
· Testing and evaluating the knowledge or skill ,
– 360-degree feedback and
· Neuro-Science principles for enhancing retention of information by the learners.
Modern neuroscience has made three discoveries, which we may put together, in preparing the Learning interventions.
If the information is transmitted to the mind over intervals of time, the possibility of retaining it, increases many folds.
It means we should transmit the same information over intervals of time in blended learning.
The best way to learn is to continue to test yourself.
If one has confidence in oneself, along the self-paced and testing -centric learning, the job becomes easier.
2.3 Third stage: Efforts to use micro learning tools to enrich macro learning.
Micro learning tools are proving to be extremely beneficial in transmitting the information expeditiously ,and in an effective manner.
The best thing will be to take the help of this innovation in enriching the macro learning content.
This may be done through the following steps:
Step one: Build a new curriculum
We may evolve new curriculum for enriching macro learning using micro learning tools.
The overall learning objective of the macro learning may be divided into small learning objectives.
For each small learning objective, we may prepare micro learning nuggets. Thus, we may meet the overall objective of learning intervention.
However, we must bear in mind that it is simply impossible to replace the macro learning by the small micro learning nuggets.
On the other hand, some experts say that if we try to convert entire macro learning material into micro, this may lead to disruptions.
Hence, the effort should be to make it more emphatic & should be attempted in a careful manner.
Second step: Let collaboration be part of the journey of learning
If learners discuss, tell friends also share with one another about their new learning journey, it will have a great impact
We may further reinforce it by the following:
- Repeating the micro learning modules from time to time.
- Teach them not in one go but in stages.
- Include mini games to make it interesting and experience- centric.
- Prune the main macro learning content if deemed fit.
We know that in macro learning, many a times, we include unnecessary things to cover the time. These unnecessary and irrelevant things may be curtailed, but we should do it with caution and ensure that the basics are not forsaken. Also, we must ensure that we do not lose sight of the main objective.
Keep a scope for testing, evaluation and 360-degree feedback , as we have shown in Section 2.2
2.4 Stage Four: Efforts to transform macro learning content to micro learning
The learning intervention material , which we have prepared using the methodology suggested in Section 2.1 and 2.2 is now available with us.
We discussed in Section 2.3, how we may use micro learning tools to
further enrich the learning intervention material.
The fourth stage may belong to converting this macro learning material to micro.
However, we must bear in mind that each and every macro learning content may not be converted to micro. Though ,it may definitely be enriched following the modus operandi, as mentioned in section 2.3.
Hence , the steps for converting macro learning content to micro learning is
as given below:
· Decide if the macro material may be converted to micro.
· If it may not be converted, then the best way is to enrich it with micro learning tools.
· However, if macro learning content is capable of being converted into micro, then adopt the following steps:
– Redesign the entire macro content into small units keeping the
overall learning objectives as the same.
– Around the small units, evolve a mixed material of macro, along
with the small videos with the emphasis on sharing and retention of
– We should design micro learning videos or nuggets, so that we are
able to facilitate behavior change also.
– Remember, that micro learning contributes to the knowledge of employees, hence we must incorporate such nuggets, which is specifically aimed at skill enhancement.
– We may also keep in view the measures suggested in Section 2.2
for making the effort, collaborative, self-paced, test, evaluation and
feedback – centric.
Ripples Learning is continuously striving to add value to knowledge pertaining to human resource field, through its blogs and different state of the art programs.
For knowing more about us, please go through the following websites: